How can we improve Prep & Pantry?

Desktop version (Updated)

More than just a web portal, this is a stand-alone version of Prep & Pantry for your Mac or Windows PC.

Update 18 Dec 2014: As of today, the current release of Prep & Pantry for Android v1(989) officially supports the Gennymotion desktop emulator! I was able to fix a bug that was causing it to hang on start-up. The how-to in the knowledgebase details the installation.

I've tested this and it works. You can even use your webcam to scan the barcodes. This will also work with the CT-10 scanner hooked up to your PC.

This release might also fix the problem with P&P running on Bluestacks, could someone this confirm for me?

For the non-Android Prep & Pantry users out there, yes this means that you will have to download, install, and purchase the Android version of Prep & Pantry in order to use it in the emulator.

For current Prep & Pantry Android users, you only need to use your current Google Play account. When you run P&P for the first time on the emulator you will get the Upgrade Now pop-up. Select 'Restore' and you'll be good-to-go.

[I know the better way would be to put together a stand-alone web app or desktop version but that would take months of work for something basic and months more for a full feature set. This way I can stay focused on feature enhancements and updates for the app you use now.]

266 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DouglasDouglas shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  DouglasDouglas responded  · 

Yet another update, but it’s a good one! As of today, the current release of Prep & Pantry for Android officially supports the Gennymotion desktop emulator! I was able to fix a bug that was causing it to hang on start-up. The how-to in the knowledgebase details the installation. This might also fix the problem with P&P running on Bluestacks, could someone this confirm for me?

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EE commented  · 

I got the app to work with Bluestacks. However, when I go to scan a new barcode it loads the image from the previous scan and won't let me scan a new barcode until I load a webcam app to "clear" the webcam image. Anyone else have this problem or know of a better workaround?

• SS commented  · 

WHAT IF I HAVE IPHONE???

Desktop version (Updated)

More than just a web portal, this is a stand-alone version of Prep & Pantry for your Mac or Windows PC.

Update: File this under "Why didn't I think of this before?" There are a number of applications that let you run Android apps on a PC. First and foremost of the programs available is BlueStacks. Install the program on your Windows computer. Log into the Google Play store. Download/install Prep & Pantry. Disco, you're set. Prep & Pantry on your PC.

Now I need a volunteer; who wants to do a write-up to share with everyone? I don't have a Windows PC and it would be super awesome if someone would try the BlueStacks method and report back so I can share the how-to with the whole community.

http://www.bluestacks.com/app-player.html

• LyynneLyynne commented  · 

I get the splash screen, then just black. :-(

• VV commented  · 

Unfortunately, it does not work for me either...

• Anonymous commented  · 

Sadly it doesn't work through BlueStacks.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Oh my goodness I am SO excited!

• PilarPilar commented  · 

I have a Mac, can I use it?

• PilarPilar commented  · 

I am not that lucky, what unloads is something from 1984, thad does not open.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Sorry to hear the development has ended. We hope it is only temporary! :-)

• Angela SmithAngela Smith commented  · 

@Douglas - Ah, good ol' software. What were you using?

• MagnusMagnus commented  · 

when will it arrive?

• Anonymous commented  · 

Would LOVE to see a desktop version!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Maybe P&P could make it so users can export it to CVS, change items and then import it back to the app?

• lordlord commented  · 

It would be nice to be able to login to my group at my website and print out my inventory. There is probably a way to do this already but when I tried exporting a .csv and importing it in OpenOffice 4.1 it was gibberish.

• KK commented  · 

This is exactly what I need!!!! When will it be available??

I do like the idea of a PC version of Prep & Pantry; however, it should still sync with the smart phone . . . either via the cloud, or directly (with a cable)

Lynne & Jiri

Excellent idea!
        Lynne & Jiri

Feedback and Knowledge Base