How can we improve Prep & Pantry?

I would like to see a way to view inventory turns. How much of a particular item do I use/need per year?

Am I over, or under, stocked on a particular item ( or group if that is incorporated into the app)? It would help with perishable calculations, that could lead to integration with the "configurable expiration notification" if incorporated.

I've said it a few times, GREAT APP! Keep up the good work.

104 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ChipChip shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  DouglasDouglas responded  · 

I’m willing to look into this but I am not sure what the best approach would be. Are we talking about just having an exportable history. An in-app bar chart showing item usage over a period of time with, say, the top 20 items? Give me some ideas in the comments section or through the support email.

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

This counter would subtract the dates from when it was added to the list, from when it is removed. Then you could know how often you need to replace it. Probably a minimum and maximum number of days would be best to show.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I would love this as well. Even if it were just an exportable history of everything that was signed in and signed out of a certain location would be awesome!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Why not just add a date used field for when you scan an item out?

• Karl HomburgKarl Homburg commented  · 

What if when an item is scanned and removed you could specify the reason it was removed (expired, spoiled, for use). The. You could have data to use for many purposes.

• ChipChip commented  · 

As to how to display it, my thought would be to show a ratio of minimum inventory/yearly consumption.

Perishable vs stable items could be monitored as a fraction or multiple of that ratio as it pertains to their respective shelf life's.

• ChipChip commented  · 

First, I think the time frame should be one year. That would account for any seasonal fluctuations (e.g. more frozen or canned vegetables in the winter if you eat from a garden in the spring/summer/fall).

Second, I see no other way than to base this on removing items from inventory, and more explicitly an "incident" of removing item/items from inventory. Upon the second incident of removing an item/items from inventory, you should be able to prorate an estimate for yearly consumption (i.e. numbers of items per a time period). Show that as an estimate, and continue to show and update that as an estimate until a full year of data is collected. From then, use the past twelve months as a more definitive answer.

Third, I would like to see all items with this.

• LyynneLyynne commented  · 

I think an exportable history would be good . . . but I think the ultimate goal (for me) would be to know how much I actually used for a specific period so I could then determine the amount I really need to have on hand . . . not just a guesstimate or wishful thinking.

I think the problem with using the amount purchased is, if i purchased it did I really use it? Or is it just sitting in my pantry getting old?

• C JC J commented  · 

I imagined it to work along the lines of the purchase history. There would be a checkout history for each item covering a twelve month period.

• DuncanDuncan commented  · 

I think you can just have a counter for the number of times each item was purchased through the shopping cart.

Feedback and Knowledge Base